1949 After the peremptory victory of the English teams, the ISDT returned to the other side of the channel, for a change in Llandrindod Wells, and took place September 12th to 17th.
The hosts, P.H. Alves, C.M. Ray, C.N. Rogers, F.M. Rist and B.H.M. Viney was confirmed one of the world’s best and took the Trophy, but the Silver Vase was won by the Czechs Emanuel Marha, Frantisek Blaha and J. Krcmar.
There was a more than satisfactory performance by the five Italian riders in contention for the Trophy, Benzoni, Fornasari, Ventura, and Ghiazza Francisci, who obtained the gold medal and finished third. A sixth gold medal was won by Carlo Ubbiali, of 125 MV.
It was on this occasion that the U.S. got their first gold medal, thanks to a great rider Tommy McDermott.
1950 The next International Six-Days Trial took place again in Llandrindod Wells, from 18th to 23rd September and was again dominated by the hosts, with the Team of FM Rist, B.H.M. Viney, P.H. Alves, W.J. Stocker and C.M. Ray winning the Trophy and the team formed by DS Evans, E. Usher and A.F. Gaymer, who won the Silver Vase.
The Italian crew consisted of Guido Benzoni MV 125, the MV 125 of Fornasari Mario, Mario Ventura MV 125, Guglielmo Strada on a Sertum 250, Bruno Francisci on a Guzzi 250, distinguished itself, ranking 3rd in the Trophy, while the two teams in Italy (Bruno Romano Sertum 250, Miro Riva on a Sertum 250, Carlo Merlo on a Gilera 250) and Italy B (Nello Benelli MV 125, Peter Opessi on a Guzzi Falcone 500 and Marcello Tura on a Gilera Saturno 500), classified respectively 7th and 8th in the Silver Vase.
Two other Italian riders showed up at the starting line, Domenico Carancini of Lambretta and Charles Ubbiali on a 125 MV.
The motorcycles in the race were specially prepared for the test and there were significant reinforcing carried out at critical points on the frame, some tube-shaped motor protection as well as a sophisticated (for the times) accessory: the first type of gonfleur number plate.
This competition was also a night test, and that explains why the lights were well protected.
The need to protect the lights from impact, in fact, was not merely a regulatory quirk, but an objective necessity, essential to aim for victory.
1951 This edition of the ISDT was run in September in Italy with its base in Varese.
Despite the massive presence of Italian riders all our (Italian) teams were hit by fate and had to leave the road open to foreigners.
The Trophy was won by the British B.H.M. Viney, P.H. Alves, C.M. Ray, and F.M. Rist, followed into third place by the Italian team comprising G. Monti, N. Grieco, O. Francone and O. D'Ignazio.
The Silver Vase was awarded to the Dutch team formed P. Haaker, C. van Rijssel and H. Veer.
On an individual basis the Italian performance wes certainly brilliant with 18 gold medals awarded Riva, Merlo, Opessi, Granchi, Mazzoncini, Vivaldi, Cau and Bruno Romano (Vespa 125), Emendi, Ventura and Barsotti (MV 125), Strada (Rumi 125), Milani (Guazzoni 150), N. Grieco (Parilla 125), D’Ignazio (Morini 125), Masserini (Lambretta 125), Rossi (Rossi-Ilo 175) and Spadoni (Mi-Val 125).
Fumagalli (Bianchi 125), Bruttini (Gilera 250) and Premoli (Bianchi 250) obtained the silver while Tamarozzi (Ducati 75), Longoni (Lambretta 125) and De Maestri (Mondial 125) were assigned the bronze.
Considering the growing interest in this new sporting discipline in 1951 the Italian Motorcycling Federation instituted the “Trofeo della Regolarità” (Regularity Trophy), which, even if it was solely for the Industry teams, formed the basis of the real Italian Regularity Trial that started some years later in 1954. The first Trophy was won by the Piaggio team (Vespa) followed by the Bianchi and by MV Agusta.