1947 As we have seen, the enormous changes wrought by World War II produced significant repercussions on the world of motorcycle racing. Until then the regularity races always took place on normal roads in daily public use, although much more disjointed and less reliable than today.
Technological progress on the one hand and the strong improvement of the quality of roads on the other, had reduced difficulties to such an extent as to no longer consider the sections as challenging all the teams were now able to ride these without penalties.
Those which until 1939 were considered modest off-road sections, little by little began to grow by extent and difficulty, until they shortly made up the bulk of the entire sections.At the 1947 event, as the ISDT competitions gradually shifted from roads to footpaths and mule trails, the famous “Motoregolarità in Fuoristrada” (Motorcycle regularity off-road trial) was inaugurated, later known as Enduro and the bikes suffered significant changes.
Until the Second World War, the bikes were racing street bikes, equipped with just a few essential precautions.
In the second half of the nineteenth century, the machinery was specialized to the point of gradually assuming all the specific requirements, but also the technological developments typical of racing motorcycles.
Initially stock bikes continued to be prepared with numerous and appropriate modifications, but later the bikes used in racing off-road lost all connection with the normal production and were specifically designed for their special purpose.
In the beginning, and for the whole of the 60’s, because of the extreme difficulties of the routes, poor reliability and limited power of the mechanicals, this continued to be an "extreme" sport, exclusively reserved for professionals riders, with a particular athletic experience.
The ISDT first postwar Competition were held in Czechoslovakia, in Zlin, September 16th to 21st.
At this event the Trophy regulation requiring a four man team on nationally produced three cylinder size bikes was imposed and, for the silver vase, a three man team on national production motorcycles.
The Czechoslovakian riders, V. Stanislav Jawa 350, Josef Simandl Jawa 250, Richard Dusil and Jan Bednar Jawa 250 with sidecar, with hanzl as a passenger on Jawa 600, won the Trophy.
Three other Czechoslovak riders, Kolicek Zdenek, and Josef Emanuel Marha Pastika, all on CZ 125, won the Silver Vase.
Of the 105 riders present at the starting line (59 Czechs, 11 Hungarians, Dutch 9, 8 Italians, 7 Poles, 4 Austrians, 4 Swiss and 3 English), only 65 crossed the finish line on the sixth day.
The hosts got the better result, winning 20 gold medals and 11 silver. The Austrians were awarded 3 gold medals, and one each to the Dutch and Poles. Even the Italians signed up two teams, all riding Sertum 250-cc machinery.
The team vying for the Trophy was made up of Guido Benzoni, Mario Fornasari, Mario Ventura and N. Grieco, with sidecar, Garlaschelli and passenger, while the team in contention for the Silver Vase was consisted of Onorato Francone, Giudici and Messori.
The Sertum Grieco withdrew due to breakage, but both Ventura and Giudici won gold medals, while Benzoni and Francone had to settle for the bronze medal.
1948 The organization of the competition went hand in hand with the reconstruction of all the countries involved as, a little at a time, they returned to a normal life, but also to rapid economic expansion.
The Six-Days of 1948, now in its 23rd edition, took off in Italy, based in San Remo, September 14th to 21st.
The number of riders who formed the crews fighting for the Trophy went from four to five.
Despite a massive presence of Italian riders, the British established themselves firmly, winning both trophies.
The team of A. Jefferies (Triumph 498), V.N. Brittain (Royal Enfield 346), C.N. Rogers (Royal Enfield 346), B.H. Viney (AJS 498), and J. Williams (Norton 499), won the Trophy, while fellow PH Alves (Triumph 498), C.M. Ray (Ariel 497), and J. Stocker (Royal Enfield 499) took the Silver Vase.
The Italian crew consisted of Benzoni, Fornasari, Ventura, Villa Bandirola and came fourth in the Trophy, while the two crews Italy 2 (Nelli, Giudici, Strada) and Italy 1 (Francone, Grieco, Baldi) classified respectively 9th and 12th in the Silver Vase.
The best result was obtained by Massimo Masserini riding a Gilera Neptune 250 that won the only gold medal for Italy.
M. Giudici (Guzzi 250), Hector Villa (Gilera 500), D. Mazzoncini (Vespa), C. Bandirola (Gilera Saturno 500) and Onorato Francone (Sertum 250), obtained the silver medal.
O. Spadoni (Vespa), S. Nellie (Gilera 250), R. Rizzi (Lambretta), C. Mandelli (Vespa), C. Merlo (Gilera), L. Cassola (Lambretta), and G. Ravinale (Matchless), won the bronze medal.
On July 4th, 1948 another important event occured: the Valli Bergamasche (Bergamo valleys) was born.
Its first edition, based in Bergamo and Nossa, a town of the ‘Val Seriana’ established the first section of the Moto Club Bergamo and recorded the victory of four riders: Bruno Berni, riding a Gilera 500, Gianni Damiani, Benzoni Guido and Mario Ventura, all riding Sertum 250s.
The Sertum team (Benzoni, Mario Fornasari and Ventura) was ranked first among the car manufacturers.